Memorial Hall was conceived by Harvard alumni in memory of Harvard affiliates who fell during the Civil War. The architects were invited in 1865. In 1870, the building was named Memorial Hall and the cornerstone was laid. The building went into use in 1874, and the tower was finally completed in 1877. There are many stained-glass windows inside the Memorial Hall complex, including four by John La Farge. The windows were installed between 1879 and 1902. Today, Memorial Hall is used for large lecture classes, performances for the Harvard community and beyond, and as the Freshman dining hall. Visitors cannot enter the dining hall. In the basement is the Queenshead Pub, Harvard's student pub.