ART
ARCHITECTURE
& HISTORY
in the Public Realm
San Antonio River Walk
slideshow

playing
podcasts
The Relationship of the Pedestrian to the River Walk
Ann Benson McGlone
Sites at this Tour Stop...


San Antonio River Walk

About this Tour Stop...

Prompted by the San Antonio River flood in 1921, the city decided to build a dam upstream at Olmos Creek to move the river away from the downtown area and turn the existing bend into a closed sewer. Successfully deterred by the San Antonio Conservation Society, plans for the development languished until Robert Hugman, a San Antonio Native and architect, came forward with a design for the river bend area. Originally called "The Shops at Aragon & Romula," the new commercial center would feature shops and restaurants along the river as well as multiple bridges passing back and forth. In 1939, the project received the critical help it needed from the WPA, leading to the opening of the first restaurant on the River Walk, Casa Rio, in 1946.