The President's House in Philadelphia was the third U.S. presidential mansion. George Washington lived there from 1790 to 1797, followed by John Adams until 1800, when the capital moved to Washington, D.C. Located near Independence Hall, the house was built around 1767 by Mary Masters. During the British occupation (1777–78), it served as General Howe’s headquarters and later housed Benedict Arnold. Owned by Robert Morris, the house was given to Washington, who brought nine enslaved people from Mount Vernon.