During the late 19th century, Park Row was nicknamed Newspaper Row, as most of New York City's newspapers were located on the street to be close to City Hall. Among the earlier newspapers in the area was The New York Times, which in 1857 became the first New York City newspaper to be housed in a structure built especially for its use. Part of the southern section of the street, centered on the intersection with Spruce Street, was known as Printing House Square. The newspapers housed on Newspaper Row, combined, printed more than 250,000 copies per day at their peak, leading the area to be considered "America's preeminent press center". Other papers, such as the New York Herald and The Sun, were near Newspaper Row but not actually housed on Park Row itself.