Langdell Hall was constructed in two phases, the earlier south wing in 1907 and the later north and west wings in 1928-29. It was designed by the Boston firm of Shepley Rutan and Coolidge (later Coolidge Shepley Bulfinch and Abbott) as the main library for the Harvard Law School, a role it continues to serve today. The funding for the construction came from the Harvard Law School. The site is named for Christopher Columbus Langdell (1826-1906, A.B. 1851; LL.B. 1853). Langdell was the first dean of Harvard Law School. He is most known for the development of the case study method of legal education. The west wing of Langdell was renamed Areeda Hall in 1996 in honor of professor Phillip E. Areeda.