The site of a slave market where enslaved Africans and Indians were sold, bought or rented.In 1711, city officials sanctioned the human marketplace at Wall and Pearl Sts., and even collected a sales tax when slaves were sold and bought. The market was closed in 1762, but slaves were not freed in New York until 1841. By 1703, 42% of New York households owned slaves, more than Philadelphia and Boston combined. In terms of cities, only Charleston, South Carolina had more slaves at the time. A Plaque temporarily on Wall St. and Water St. dedicated in 2015 by Mayor Bill de Blasio, acknowledging the sacrifice and contribution of these forced laborers. "Under consecutive Dutch, British and American rule, slave labor was used in New York City homes and industries, including farming and public works," read part of a statement issued when the city placed the plaque at the slave market site.