Washington Square Park Fountain


The first fountain next to the arch was completed in 1852 and replaced in 1872. In 1851, it was described as having "a very large circular basin, with a central jet and several side jets." A story on the completion of the fountain appeared in the first edition of the New-York Daily Times, which would eventually become the New York Times. In 1934, Robert Moses had the fountain renovated to also serve as a wading pool. Since around the end of World War II, folksingers had been congregating on warm Sunday afternoons at the fountain in the center of the park.

Constructed, 1852
Restored, 1872
Redeveloped, 1934
Renovation, 2007

Related People

Related Sites