The Triveni Kala Sangam is a cultural and architectural landmark in the city of Delhi. Designed by Joseph Allen Stein in 1957 in the part of Lutyens` New Delhi dedicated to cultural activities, it remains one of the icons of post-independence architecture in the city. Stein, an architect, and urban planner was trained in California but produced the bulk of his remarkable oeuvre of buildings in India including Triveni Kala Sangam. Known for his sensitivity to form and climate, his architecture has inspired an entire generation of architectural practices.
The existing building can be read almost like a campus of individual blocks, each specifically designed for a purpose that is reflected like their respective elevations. A four-story classroom block is joined by a wall-less entry foyer to the art gallery and the open-air auditorium.
Inaugurated, Mar 3, 1963
A three-story extension to the north was built in 1977, which accommodates additional classrooms, artists’ residences, and a 200-seat auditorium.
In 2013, AKDA began the process of upgrading the building, first to comply with more stringent fire-safety regulations and then to preserve the building’s façade, including the signature screen, or jaali. The physical manifestation of this process was an external metal stair, providing an additional egress point from the auditorium.
1992- Sundari K. Shridharani, the Founder and Director of Triveni, was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1992.