This house was built by Walter Gropius in 1938. Gropius, who was founder of the Bauhaus design school in Germany, constructed this home when he went to teach at the Graduate School of Design at Harvard. The house also contains a large furniture collection by Marcel Breuer. The pieces were fabricated in the Bauhaus workshops. The property is owned by Historic New England.