A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1776 on Manhattan Island, New York County, New York. Destroyed, captured, partially rebuilt and occupied by the British until they evacuated New York City in 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war. Also known as Thompson's Battery.Established in February 1776 on the east river at present day Gracie Mansion across from Ward's Island and Hell Gate. Built as a star shaped fortification with 9 gun positions. Destroyed by the British in 1776 and partially rebuilt by them. British additions to the fort included palisades, additional batteries and a palisaded blockhouse. Control of the fort was returned to Patriot forces as the British evacuated New York at 12 noon on 25 Nov 1783. With the departure of the British and the acceptance of the Treaty of Paris the fort was abandoned as a fortification in 1783. The abandoned fortifications at Horn's Hook were leveled in 1794 to make way for the building of Gracie Mansion by Archibald Gracie. This mansion later became the official residence of the New York City Mayor. Some sources indicate that the Horn's Hook fort was renewed during the War of 1812 along with additional fortifications nearby at Gracie's Point and Rhinelander's Point.