The Patiala House has a central dome with a butterfly layout, similar to other Lutyens buildings around India Gate. Unlike some of the princely residences in Delhi, the Patiala House is not clad in sandstone but painted white.
The Patiala House was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and was designed as the official residence of the Maharaja of Patiala. When prime minister Indira Gandhi abolished the privy purses of the royals in the 1970s, the royal family sold the house to the Indian government.
It housed the World Health Organisation for a while, was the site of the meeting that led to the 1st Asian Games, and now houses the Delhi District Court, also known as Patiala house court.
Yadavindra Singh, was the 9th and last ruling Maharaja of Patiala from 1938 to 1971. Patiala House was officially the residence of the Maharaja before independence.