The monumental granite structure was designed in the form of a classical temple, popular at the time for banks. This was the headquarters of the American Bank Note Company, which was responsible for the production of bank notes, paper currencies, stock certificates, and postage stamps, both domestic and international, prior to the establishment of the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing. The company was formed in 1858, but its origins trace back to 1795. The American Bank Note Company still prints securities as well as paper bank notes for foreign countries. Actual printing was carried out in the south Bronx at the company's production offices in Hunt's Point.The American Bank Note Company Building is one of several "hybrid" bank buildings erected in the early 20th century with both banking quarters and executive offices.The neo-classical style building contains almost 20,000 square feet (1,900 m2) of space, with offices and luxury apartments on the upper floors. The exterior consists of the main facade on Broad Street with two columns, as well as side facades with pilasters on Beaver and Marketfield Streets.The facades are divided into three horizontal layers by broad cornices above the first and fourth floors. The single-story base is made of rusticated stone blocks above a raised basement and water table made of smooth ashlar, and a string course runs above it. The second through fourth stories are faced with smooth ashlar, while the fifth floor serves as an attic and is also faced with smooth ashlar.The five-story granite landmark in the heart of the Financial District, a block from the New York Stock Exchange, was sold to a Chinese construction company for $18 million in 2020.