Littauer Center was designed by Architectural Resources Cambridge and opened in 1978. It was built for the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. The buildings is named for Lucius Littauer (1859 – 1944), an American politician, businessman and philanthropist. Since creating the Master Plan for the site in 1976, ARC has been at the center of development for Harvard's Kennedy School of Government. Modeled after its neo-Georgian brick neighbors, the original courtyard concept is reminiscent of adjacent Harvard River Houses. Beginning with the 105,000 SF Littauer Center completed in 1978, three additional buildings brought the KSG campus to over 250,000 SF. Rising past classrooms, conference spaces and the School's library, the interior focus of Littauer and the KSG campus is the building's sky-lit atrium, originally known as the ARCO Forum. Twenty-five years later, the renovated and rededicated John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum offers multiple seating at three levels for hosting debates, television broadcasts and other events supporting the vital connection between the School and the real world of politics.