Material: Bronze; Stony Creek graniteDimensions: D x W x H
This monument honors engineer John Wolfe Ambrose (1838–1899), whose vision and persistence resulted in the deep sea channel to New York harbor, which improved the viability of the port of New York, making New York City the heart of commerce in the United States. The channel is named in his honor. In the 1950s, the monument was relocated to the south wall of the concession building in lower Battery Park, but in November 1990 the head of the statue was stolen. Plans are underway to recreate the sculpture and render the monument more accessible for viewing.