Material: Bronze, graniteDimensions: D 15'0 x W 30'0 x H 30'0
Square pool with candelabrum at each corner; central column consisting of circular basin with umbrella above, surmounted by fixture
The Croton Fountain was placed in the center of City Hall Park to celebrate the Croton Aqueduct, New York City’s first dependable supply of pure water. The aqueduct drew water from the Croton Dam more than 40 miles (64 km) north of the city and was considered one of the great engineering feats of the 19th century.
In 1871 the Croton Fountain was replaced by a new fountain designed by Jacob Wrey Mould, co-designer of Central Park’s Bethesda Fountain, which became the centerpiece of the smaller park.The pool and column on the City Hall Park Fountain are made of granite, while the candelabra is made of cast bronze.