The Provincetown Art Association and Museum (PAAM) is an organization dedicated to the exhibition and collection of art and public education in the arts. Since it`s founding in 1914, the Museum has always supported exhibitions and fostered programs that serve both the artist and lay communities. The organization acquired the historic Federal-style Hargood House in 1918, and over the years several additions were built to accommodate its growing membership. The renovation and expansion to PAAM offered a new architectural and civic identity for the institution, while improving its ability to display and store art. The project objectives included restoration of the historic portion, establishing a clear entry for the Museum between old and new, developing a sequence of gallery spaces that could be allocated individually or collectively, and expanding the Museum`s school and art storage areas. The project was realized in two phases. The first involved the renovation of the Hargood House and its two galleries, creating a library and expanding office spaces. A second phase of construction accounted for the new addition, and included additional, flexible galleries as well as new storage areas and an expanded Museum School. In contrast to the existing galleries, the new galleries were oriented towards Commercial Street—Provincetown`s major pedestrian thoroughfare—and were visible from it, opening the institution to the community. In addition, all of the building`s mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems were replaced, and the building was brought into compliance with current building and accessibility codes. PAAM was designed to rigorous standards of sustainable design and earned a Silver LEED rating, becoming the first LEED rated art museum in the United States. Significant aspects of PAAM`s green design include a thermally efficient building envelope, the use of natural light and a “daylight dimming” system for the galleries and studio spaces and a photovoltaic array on the roof of the new addition. The building is also equipped to employ natural ventilation to augment its mechanical systems, allowing the building to be cooled with outside air when appropriate.