Van Cortlandt's Sugar House

Constructed, 1755

The sugar house on the northwest corner of the yard of Trinity Church in Manhattan was built by John Van Cortlandt and partner George Petterson around 1755. Van Cortlandt took sole proprietorship after their partnership was dissolved two years later.

Converted, 1776

Used as a prison during the Revolutionary War.

Destroyed, 1852

The building was torn down in 1852.

Related Sites