The Cary Building was built in the Italian Renaissance revival style, with the cast-iron facade provided by Daniel D. Badger's Architectural Iron Work. The five-story twin-facade building was designed as a commercial structure for a dry goods firm and is now used as a residential building. As a result of the widening of Church Street in the 1920s, a 200-foot-long wall of unadorned brick is now exposed on the east side of the building; as Christopher Gray observed in the New York Times, comparing the structure to cast-iron buildings with facades obscured by modern signage, "There is not too little of the Cary Building but too much." The building was once home to The New York Sun.

Constructed, 1856
Renovation, 1915