1st Huguenot Church Eglise du Saint Esprit. Up to 1688 the French congregation worshipped in the Dutch church in the fort, but in that year they put up a church of their own in Marketfield street, or Petticoat lane, half way between Broad and Whitehall streets.
Constructed, 1704
Show more
A new and larger church was built at the corner of Pine and Nassau Streets. It was called, for the first time, “Le Temple du Saint-Esprit.” It was to serve the parish for the next 130 years. A simple rectangular building, 50 by 75 feet. Beside it was a graveyard. There was a wooden fence on the sides which bordered the streets.
Related Sites
Walloon Settlers Monument-The monument commemorates the Walloon Settlers, a group of 32 Belgian Huguenot families who joined the Dutch in 1624.
The Reformed Dutch Church of New Amsterdam-Up to 1688 the French congregation worshipped in the Dutch church in the fort, but in that year they put up a church of their own
Map View
Current Location
109 E 60th St, New York, NY 10022, USA
Previous Locations
William St, New York, NY, USA
Regular services in a room above the village’s grist mill on William Street near Pearl Street.
Marketfield St, New York, NY 10004, USA
Marketfield street, or Petticoat lane, half way between Broad and Whitehall street