Federal Hall that you see today is actually the third building on this site. Originally, the building was New York`s second City Hall.George Washington gave the renovation project to Pierre L`Enfant who was then a young engineer on his staff as his first architectural commission. Washington was inaugurated on its balcony in 1789; the statue in front was installed for the 100-year commemoration.When the capital was moved to Washington DC, this building was constructed as the US Customs House in 1842 until that function was moved about 20 years later. The Treasury Department then used it to store some of the country`s gold and silver bullions until the Federal Reserve Bank was built.Around 1699, de Peyster donated part of his garden for the construction of a new city hall. That building was later renamed Federal Hall.
Around 1699, de Peyster donated part of his garden for the construction of a new city hall. That building was later renamed Federal Hall, which briefly served as the first capitol of the United States, and the site of the first inauguration of George Washington as president. It was replaced in 1842 with the Greek Renaissance structure that stands there today.