The original two hotels were built by feuding relatives (John Jacob and William Waldorf Astor on the site of their aunt Caroline Schemerhhorn Astor's home. It was the first hotel to offer a bathroom for every room and electricity it was located too far uptown when it was built. Astor hired George Boldt from the Bellevue Stratford to run the hotel. He hosted a benefit concert for St Mary`s Hospital for Children on its opening day which was a favorite charity that earned $4.5 million in 1st year. The hotel hosted multiple society events. In 1899 There was a meal costing $250/ person unheard of at the time Carnegie, NBC`s first radio broadcast was here on Nov 15, 1926. Chop Suey invented here for a dinner honoring the Chinese Ambassador in 1896. The combined hotel was moved to its current site enticed by a $10 million offer from NY Central to build a new building at 51st St. When it opened, Herbert Hoover announced it on radio from the white house. It was the tallest hotel in the world/ largest 2200 rooms – offered a radio in every roomThe Waldorf-Astoria has a legacy of famous residents: U.S. General Douglas MacArthur, Nikola Tesla, Cole Porter, Frank Sinatra, General Farley (who lived there about 30 years) and Marilyn Monroe. Charitable events continued including the April in Paris Ball. There were also major political events. Track 61 of Grand Central Terminal was built in the 30`s to help Franklin Roosevelt keep his polio diagnosis from the public with his own train car which could accommodate a limosine – Entry can be seen as 101 – 121 Lexington Avenue. Then building has been under renovation for the past few years and is slated to open as condominiums in 2020.Built in 1893 and expanded in 1897, the Waldorf–Astoria was razed in 1929 to make way for construction of the Empire State Building. Connected by the 300 metres (980 ft) long corridor, known as "Peacock Alley" after the merger in 1897, the hotel had 1,300 bedrooms, making it the largest hotel in the world at the time. It was designed specifically to cater to the needs of socially prominent "wealthy upper crust" of New York and distinguished foreign visitors to the city. It was the first hotel to offer electricity and private bathrooms throughout.